Thousands of people died 25-years-ago when 40,000 tons of methyl isocyanate (MIC) escaped from the Union Carbide pesticide factory into Bhopal's night air. Thousands more continue to suffer from the gas effects, and due to corruption within the local government, are not receiving the treatment and aid they were promised. New generations of children are born with mental and physical deformities not just from their gas-effected parents, but also from their families using the highly contaminated ground water. Many of these families have moved into the area years after the explosion seeking cheap accommodation and are now suffering greatly due to a slow and steady poisoning of their bodies. The factory's toxic waste, which has leached into the soil and water, has never been cleaned up. A 2009 report that tested water and soil up to 3 kms from the plant, states there are extreme levels of pesticides and hard metals like mercury and lead, which are causing chronic toxicity in the residents. Neither the US giant, DOW Chemical, who now own Union Carbide, nor the Indian government who own the land are taking any kind of responsibility.